Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cutting the cord

Well one of them. We're now offcially wireless. I got 2 xbees talking to each other and was able to move my 2 matrixes across the room. This article here helped a lot with setting up the xbees. Next step will be power. Preferably we'd run on solar power (I can get one matrix running & xbee if I plug straight into the solar panel) still working on wiring up the battery and running off of that.

Of note I didn't have to change my arduino code at all, just plugged one xbee straight into the iobridge, GND->GND, 5V->5V, Rx->Tx & Tx ->Rx. The other xbee went to the arduino, 3.3v ->3v, GND->GND, Rx ->Tx & Tx ->Rx. Simple as that. Photos shortly, gotta charge my camera.

Bookmark and Share


  1. Really neat project. I am enjoying the progression of your 8x8 matrix displays in each of your posts. The photos are great!

  2. That's awesome! I just got a few Xbees from Lady Ada too and can't wait to go wireless too!

  3. Hey Dwight,
    I was referencing your article again because I've almost got my wires cut too!

    I was wondering how you created the iobridge widget so you could sent / receive serial info to the arduino.

    I have the Life Serial Monitoring Widget working but I can't seem to be able to send something from an iobridge widget, and get something intelligible out on the other side.


  4. Jay,

    This post will explain what I did, the iobridge really just sends serial data through the xbees from a webpage I created.

    Let me know if this link doesn't solve your issue.